One can now find many brands of toasted coconut flakes in grocery stores, but I find them either too expensive or too sugary. A good alternative is to toast coconut flakes yourself at home. I buy coconut flakes (or shredded coconut) in the bulk section of my health food store. It is much less expensive (budget is always a concern for me) and I can season them to my liking.
In this particular recipe, I flavored the coconut flakes with ground cinnamon powder and vanilla powder. No sugar, but if you prefer, you can certainly add a small dose of honey or maple syrup for a sweeter version. When they are ready to eat, serve with your favorite smoothie, smoothie bowl, coconut yogurt, coconut milk, tigernut milk, or whatever fresh fruit you have available.
For a savory version, checkout my Roasted Coconut Flakes with Oregano!
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut flakes (or shredded coconut)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla powder
- In a large skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add coconut flakes, cinnamon, and vanilla powder. Mix well, ensuring coconut flakes are coated with the seasoning.
- Cook until coconut flakes are golden, about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Keep an eye on the skillet because coconut can burn really quickly!
- Transfer immediately to a plate and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. Will keep up to 2 weeks.
Click it to pin it!