You know it is good for you but you are not sure where to start? That is pretty much how everyone feels about organ meats and offal! Sarah Ballantyne, aka The Paleo Mom, has written extensively on the subject of organ meats and nutrient density. She says “organ meats are the most concentrated source of just about every nutrient, including important vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and essential amino acids.” No wonder organ meats are considered a super-food on the autoimmune protocol!
Don’t miss the noteworthy article written by Rory, at The Paleo PI, about why we should all be eating more organ meats. He even came up with a creative offal rating scale to help you decide where to start!
Try eating offal once or twice a week if you can and choose an organic, grass-fed source if possible. I would recommend that you start with a simple pâté and work your way up from there! Down below is a list of organ meats recipes gathered from AIP bloggers. Their talent and creativity in the kitchen will help you choose which recipe is best for you.
- Bacon & Olive Liver Pâté by Emma at The Bacon Mum
- Beef Liver Pâté with Bacon and Rosemary by Jaime at Gutsy by Nature
- “Powerhouse on a Plate” Bacon, Mushroom, Liver Pâté by Jaime at Gutsy by Nature
- Beef liver Pâté with Balsamic Caramelized Onions by Erin at Enjoying This Journey
- Chicken Liver Pâté with Mushrooms and Bacon by Martine at The Paleo Partridge
- Chicken Liver Pâté by Charlotte at Salixisme
- Pork and Chicken Liver Terrine with Spiced Apple Compote by Kate at Healing Family Eats
- Pork Liver and Bacon Pâté by Jo at Comfort Bites
- Paleo Herbed and Chicken Liver Pâté (AIP) by Gabriella at Beyond the Bite
- Paleo Asian Beef Liver Pâté (AIP) by Gabriella at Beyond the Bite
- Chicken Liver Pâté 101 by Martine at The Paleo Partridge
- ‘I Can’t Believe it’s Liver!’ Duck Liver, Thyme and Orange Pâté by Joanna at This Sydney life
- Bacon-Beef Liver Pâté with Rosemary and Thyme by Mickey at Autoimmune Paleo
- Liver Pâté by Sarah at The Paleo Mom
Meatballs, burgers, and more!
- Chicken Liver Fried “Rice” by Eileen at Phoenix Helix
- Liver and Mushroom Stir Fry by Sirpa at Kaiku Lifestyle
- AIP Paleo Pan Seared Garlic Liver Recipe by Tara at The Paleo Cajun Lady
- Liver with Bacon, Onions and Collard Greens by Kate at Healing Family Eats
- Bolognese Sauce with Chicken Livers and Zoodles by Kate at Healing family Eats
- Hidden Liver Mediterranean Turkey Burgers (AIP) by Gabriella at Beyond the Bite
- Abats de Lapin en Sauce (Rabbit Livers and Kidneys Sauce) by Dora at Provincial paleo
- Hidden Liver Meatballs by Dora at Provincial Paleo
- Simple Marinated Chicken Hearts by Eileen at Phoenix Helix
- Beef Heart with Chimichurri Sauce by Eileen at Phoenix Helix
- Grilled Sweetbreads with Balsamic Glaze by Eileen at Phoenix Helix
- Paleo Steak and Kidney Pie by Charlotte at Salixisme
- Paleo / AIP Dirty “Rice” with Liver by Charlotte at Salixisme
- Hidden Liver Meatloaf and Gravy by Charlotte at Salixisme
- Elk Liver by Charlotte at Salixisme
- Elk Heart with Greens and Oven Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds by Charlotte at Salixisme
- Elk and Heart Stew by Charlotte at Salixisme
For more organ meat inspiration, check out the Organ Meat Makeover ebook by Gabriella Schneider!