I like my oven roasted chicken wings and drumettes crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. I find that it is not so much what I add to the meat that will make a big difference, but the way I cook them. For the longest time, I only used glass baking dishes and the results were not finger-licking great. Until I tried to roast the chicken wings directly in the bottom tray of my oven broiler pan. Shazam! They came out of the oven exactly the way I like them: nicely browned and crunchy all over with a tender meat. Yum!
Oven roasted chicken wings
with ginger sauce
Make sure you spread a good amount of coconut oil all over the tray (1 to 2 TBSP) using a rubber spatula or food scraper. Season with your favorite herbs and spices. If you are following a strict autoimmune protocol like me, be careful to use AIP compliant seasoning! If you are unsure of what you can use, Eileen from Phoenix Helix has compiled a list of all AIP herbs and spices. For this recipe though, I only sprinkled some celtic sea salt on the meat because I am using an apple-ginger dipping sauce on the side.
You will need some fresh ginger juice for the dipping sauce; I buy mine at our local Vitamin Cottage – Natural Grocers. I also use the same ginger juice to flavor these yummy sweet n’ sour gelatin gummies! You can double the batch of apple-ginger sauce and spread half of it over the chicken before roasting.
- 3 lbs of chicken wings & drumettes
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- For the marinade:
- 2 TSP sea salt
- 2 TBSP fresh ginger juice
- 2 TBSP coconut aminos
- For the dipping sauce:
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 3 TBSP apple butter
- 1 TSP fresh ginger juice
- 1 TSP coconut aminos
- 1/2 TSP celtic sea salt
- 1 TSP freshly grated ginger for the garnish
- In a big ziploc plastic bag, place the chicken wings and drumettes with sea salt, fresh ginger juice, and coconut aminos. Close the bag and massage the chicken for a minute. Make sure all the chicken is well coated in marinade.
- Marinate for at least 1 hour in the fridge.
- Spread coconut oil on the bottom tray of your oven broiler pan and arrange the chicken in a single layer.
- Bake in the oven at 400F for 50 minutes, occasionally flipping the chicken over with a big turner spatula (or any other kitchen tool that might do the job!).
- While the chicken is in the oven, prepare your dipping sauce.
- In a bowl mix together coconut milk, apple butter, fresh ginger juice, coconut aminos, and sea salt.
- Garnish with some grated ginger.
- Once you take the wings out of the oven, let them cool down a little bit and serve warm with dipping sauce.
- The sauce will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator.
- Bon appétit!
This chicken wings recipe has been shared on Fat Tuesday – Phoenix Helix AIP Recipe Roundtable – Real Food Wednesday –